Sunday, July 15, 2012

Festeaval 2012: Impressions




As I already announced on this blog a couple of days ago, Bratislava's third (or second, in official numbering) festival of tea and tea culture, FesTEAval, took place yesterday in the city's Medicka Garden. Last year already showed that this is a promising and growing event, worth of every tea-lover's attention - this year only confirmed the statement.







Even though I haven't brought my camera, I was lucky to have a talented friend Martina there, who took some beautiful photos and allowed me to use them in this post. In terms of structure, this Festeaval more or less followed last year's well-tested scheme - individual stands for many Slovak teahouses serving different kids of tea (for free) to visitors outside in the park, lectures on various subjects and by various guests inside the tent of local seasonal teahouse, which is located in the garden every summer.







Many visible improvements were made over last year - most notably, the list of this year's guests for lectures excited me from the first time I'd seen it. Daniel Klasek from Darjeeling.cz (talking about teas from Darjeeling and Nepal), Zajo & Mili from Teatrade.sk (Wuyi Yancha), Peter Stanik from Pu-erh.sk (Pu-erh) and Petr Novak (pottery and water-heating on charchoal).







Another part of this year's program was a tasting competition - or, better said, two competitions, one for the beginners and one for advanced tea drinkers. This contest offered some really interesting prizes for its winners, provided by Teamountain and Longfeng.




Avra Kehdabra's stand


 Cajovy Dom - teatrade.sk and their stand





After going through most present teahouses, I spent most of the day at one stand which actually haven't even belonged to any teahouse - instead, Petr Novak and Mirka Randova brought some beautiful pieces of their pottery for sale and, together with Daniel Klasek and Brno's Probuzeny Slon teahouse's Benki, prepared some great teas as well - of course, with water boiled on charcoal, despite of the rainy weather.
I also had a chance to try this kind of water preparation - and, must say, found it very charming, not to mention the effect it has on water.



 Zajo from teatrade.sk talking about Wuyi


Puerh and pottery - Peter Stanik & Petr Novak 







Bratislava's FesTEAval grows and improves. This year turned out to be even better than the last - even rain wasn't able to change anything on that.
A big thanks to the organizers for their effort and a big thanks to everyone who attended - and, helped to shape this extraordinary, pleasant event.









5 comments:

  1. Hi Michal,

    It was great to have you as a company on the booth. Nice pictures by the way, the last one has definitely the atmosphere!

    Petr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Petr,
    and thank you - it was a real pleasure meeting you and Mirka there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michal,
    first of all thanks for your wonderful photos & interesting info. This week I was in Brno and this enabled me to visit the tea house Cajovna. As you said it's really a lovely place. I tested a great pu-erh there and I subsequently bought it together with a handmade teacup. I have a question: do you also know such nice adresses in Vienna? I will be visiting that city in September so all info would be greatly appreaciated.
    Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gregory,
    thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed Brno's vivid tea-culture - I am enjoying a wonderful cup of Sencha in Brno right now, as a matter of fact.
    About your question, unfortunately, I still just plan to explore Vienna's tea places and therefore won't be of much help.
    However, here are some links I bookmarked - as places to visit in the near future (though I don't know anything specific about them, considering my close-to-none ability to understand German). http://www.artee.at/index.php?id=start_teehaus
    http://www.chanoma.at/App/WebObjects/Nipponya.woa/cms/ja/chanoma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Michal,
    that's very useful information, thank you!
    If I come across other interesting places in Vienna I will let you know.

    Gregory

    ReplyDelete