Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2011 Kim Jong Yeol's Jungjak Nokcha Butea



This sample was kindly sent along with my last order from Slovak shop Nomad.sk. It really made me happy – my previous encounters with Kim Jong Yeol's teas (such as this Balhyocha) were really an unusual experiences and of the four of his teas imported to Europe by Teamountain, this Jungjak (third picking) was the only green I haven't had a chance to try yet.

And since this sunny, windless day seemed ideal for such a tea, I have decided to give it a try now.

This tea originates in Yonggang-Ri, Hwagae-myeon, Gyeongnam – Hwagae Valley and was completely hand-picked and hand-made during the second week of May from 20 years old, wild tea trees.





The leaves are very good-looking; just slightly larger than those of Saejak (second picking) grade, curly and range from light, yellow-green to almost blueish in color. Their smell is very sweet, floral and, even quite a long time after the picking, still fresh. The preheated teapot enhances these sweet and pine-like fresh tones and reveals more, especially the roasted smell of bread.





The first infusion is light-green in color and just as light in taste, though, at the same time, very complex. Mainly dominated by gentle, flowery sweetness and tones of various fruit – pears and grapes, these notes are followed by once again very sweet, bread-like roastiness and pine-like freshness, which is, however, less vivid than in smell of the dry leaves. The aftertaste of this brew is mouth-filling, quite long and nutty-sweet.

The second infusion has a lively green color, is very clear and its most pronounced tone seems to be that of the roasted, sweet bread. Most of the former freshness is missing in this infusion, being replaced by complex, full tones of nuts, pears and berries. The following aftertaste is stronger than that of the previous infusion, once again quite roasty and bread-like, pleasantly remaining on tongue for a very long time.





The third and fourth infusions are somehow similar in character, being clear, lively green in color and still dominated by the sweet roasted tones of bread, which are now somehow finer than in the second infusion, where it reached the peak of its strength. These brews are creamy, nutty and complex, light and deep at the same time. Their aftertaste is moderately long, sweet and mouth-filling.

Few more brews are made of these leaves; gradually getting lighter, drier and less complex. Its main tones are nuts and bread, followed by remains of fruity sweetness and creaminess.





This tea, similarly to most of Korean green teas I've encountered so far, has a remarkable, almost meditative effect on my mind, putting it into a concentrated, but very calm state at the same time. This is one of the things I am most fond of in Korean teas and why I am always very glad to have a chance to try one.

So thanks again, for an opportunity to drink yet another of master Kim Jong Yeol's teas, which always seem to leave a memory of extraordinary session in my mind. Even now, when this green isn't in its freshest state anymore.



3 comments:

  1. I like this blog. I just watched a documentary on Netflix about a guy who was a tea expert. he'd give it a sniff and know right away if it was good or not. I drink Earl Gray but I'd like to try other kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're a tea lover like me!
    Your blog it's wonderful!
    I have a blog about tea ceremonies:
    http://cerimoniadelte.blogspot.com/
    I add a link to your blog.
    Please if you like it, add also a link to my blog on your.
    Thank's and regards. Letizia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombie Logic,
    Thank you! Definitely give other kinds of tea a try; the world of tea is a fascinating one.

    Letizia,
    Always great to hear from a fellow tea-lover! Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it. I've just visited your blog and am really enjoying it. Thank you for linking, I'm also adding you to my blog-list.

    ReplyDelete